Study Abroad Scenarios

Here are different scenarios for studying and immigrating in Manitoba:

Scenario 1: Young students, such as those about to graduate from high school, recent graduates, or even current university students, can apply to study at a Designated Learning Institution (DLI) in Manitoba. They obtain a study permit, and after graduating (which can take 1 to 4 years), they can apply for a post-graduation work permit, allowing them to work locally. After 6-12 months of employment, they can apply for provincial nomination and become permanent residents.

Some people choose to immigrate first and then study, saving on tuition fees and getting high-quality Canadian education at a lower cost.

Scenario 2: Individuals who have already graduated from high school or university many years ago but, due to personal or family reasons, can only come to Canada on their own to study. They obtain a post-graduation work permit after graduating, work locally, and then apply for provincial nomination immigration.

Once a study permit is obtained, children can attend elementary and secondary schools in Canada for free. However, if only one spouse comes to study, they typically need to balance study and family life. If conditions allow, family members back home can apply for tourist visas to come to Canada to assist with the child's transportation to and from school.

Scenario 3: Both spouses (or with children) come to Canada. One spouse obtains a study permit, while the other obtains a spouse work permit. The spouse with a work permit can apply for provincial nomination immigration after working for 6-12 months.

The advantage of this scenario is that the immigration application process is relatively fast. Once one spouse obtains a study permit, the other can immediately apply for an open work permit, allowing them to work in Canada. Typically, this process can lead to a provincial nomination within a year. Like the second scenario, children can attend Canadian public elementary and secondary schools for free.

Scenario 4: Many individuals interested in the Manitoba Skilled Worker Overseas Stream for immigration lack a Manitoba connection, making them ineligible to apply. In this case, applicants can apply for a study permit, study at a post-secondary institution or higher education institution in Manitoba to complete a qualification, thereby establishing a Manitoba connection.

Back to Study Abroad